11/14/2015

Morocco photo diary: Chefchaouen





 The food was amazing!

                         by Scott Miller


by Maylee

by Monique
                            by Scott Miller............. ..............................by Kata

by Monique
 



This blue town was definitely my favorite place in Morocco. It was much smaller in size compared to other cities I visited (Tanger, Fes, Marrakesh), less busy and the people were much friendlier. The mountain scenery was amazing. I could have staid here for 2 weeks if I had the time. From Tanger I took a shared taxi with other travelers who were going to the same direction. They take 6 travelers to each taxi. 2 on the front seat and 4 in the back. I would be lying if I said it wasn´t a long and hot ride sharing the back seat with 3 guys but apparently this is the best or only way to travel between these cities. 

In total I spent 4 nights in Chefchaouen. You could wander around the pretty streets for ages. Shopping here was easier than in busier cities because the sellers weren´t as aggressive but then again the selection wasn´t as big. Apart from walking in the town we also went outside the town hiking to the mountains to find a place called God´s bridge and to the Spanish mosque along the side of the mountains and through the hash fields. Near God´s bridge I faced my fear of heights and jumped from a cliff. To a river. Apparently I´m not in a good enough shape to walk up and down the mountains. I´m also so clumsy that I´m surprised I even survived that hike alive. But it was so pretty in the mountains it was definitely worth it. In Chefchaouen I had my first Hamam experience. I went there early in the day and apart from me there was only the girl who scrubbed off a dozen layers of my skin. Hamam was weirdly not weird at all if it makes sense. And very relaxing.

No comments: